Thursday, October 30, 2008

Would Jesus Vote?

AS the election nears, I hear the various opinions from analysts and bloggers about why one candidate is preferred over the others. I have to admit that I am a little weary of the political season and how it feels like it has gone on for over a year... oh wait, it has.
As I look at the Christian perspective, I have seen several of my friends make the comment or ask the question of whether or not Jesus would vote? I think it may be Christian cliche to avoid the issues of governance by proclaiming that "Jesus wouldn't vote." However I am intrigued by the notion that very good people would carry this kind of a view when there is no substantial support on such an issue. To me, to make this kind of a statement is reminiscent of Job asking God why everything hit the fan in his personal life? God responded with "I will not tell you because I am not accountable to you." (my paraphrase). In other words, we may not know everything, but there are some things we can conclude based on outside circumstances. Job's friends thought they knew God and basically told Job that he must repent of some sin becsause the sin is causing the destruction. God actually held these friends in account because they did not speak accurately of the Almighty. I say all this because I think we need to be careful when representing God without a strong basis.
I am not 100% positive that Jesus wouldn't vote, but I think he would. He was very adept to the political climate of the day and even told people that they should give the Gov't what it deserves, but make sure you give God what he deserves. I once politely commented to a very well-meaning friend that I didn't believe it was my duty as a Christian to vote. I still hold to this. However, it is my right and duty as a citizen of the United States to vote. I think Jesus would, if he were allowed to, vote. I am not positive, but I think He would have.
His views on voting might have been different than what we expect, but I don't believe he would have endorsed anyone, but instead he would have called all candidates in any political arena to a life lived beyond ourselve in a way that truly serves the people we represent.
My advisor in seminary recently wrote an article entitled How to pick a President: Why virtue always trumps policy, to which the case is made to look at the candidates through the lenses of virtue first and policy second. Policies can change because they will be affected by other people. Virtue is dictated by the decisions of each individual.
All this to say... I will vote and I think Jesus would too.
If you want to read the article, it is at
http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2008/june/17.22.html

No comments: