Since moving to Iowa, I have a new perspective on snow. Other than at Christmas (which is when I do love having snow) I don't like having snow. Maybe it is just Iowa snow? Here in Iowa, snow lasts for about a day, then it turns to ice. The ice makes it difficult to drive in my driveway or get on my roof (to find the hole the stupid squirrels are using to abuse my attic) and causes the temperatures to to stay extremely cold. And I never, ever thought that I would own a snow blower. What fun it is to use on your driveway and sidewalks. If the wind is blowing, it blows all the snow on you and back over the spots you are trying to clear. The snow thrower is better than shoveling, though. Of that I am sure! Don't get me wrong, I do like the snow.... until about January 4th. After that, let the warm weather return.
I tell people here in Iowa that I would gladly trade two weeks of 40 degrees and rain for 5 sunny days at -5 degrees.
Yesterday, as my sister texted me pictures of the PDX snow and complained of the cold, I looked online and saw the temp in Portland was around 25 degrees. Wow, heat wave (but not by Oregon standards, I understand). We had a day that fluxuated between 3 and -3 with 30 mph winds. Now I know my Canadian friends will say... that's nothing (and I agree). Believe me, I don't want to feel your pain, that is for you to blog about.
All this to say to this to my Northwest friends. Enjoy the snow, it will be gone soon enough and it keeps the landscape beautiful. Enjoy your seeming cold, it will warm up soon. And above all, enjoy your white Christmas. This holiday is already special, snow is just the icing...
Some pics from Iowa
Emma in her igloo
Our house
No comments:
Post a Comment