Thursday, May 29, 2008

One of the best weekends...

Rene and I got to spend one of the best weekends of our marriage a few weekends ago in Oregon. Growing up and living there for so long, Oregon is always fun to go back to. This time was extra special because of all the people we were able to see and all that we were able to do. We left our house in Muscatine at 2:30 in the AM in order to make our 6 AM flight out of Des Moines. We got to Portland in the late morning and went to lunch at the Rock Creek Pub. It was Awesome!!!! Then that night, for Rene's 45th birthday, we ate at the Cascade room at Timberline Lodge. It was a great evening with Rene' and her parents.

The next day we got to go to the Wedding of Lacey McGuire. It was a blat to be with people we haven't been with in years. We spent most of the reception enjoying reunions with people who have meant the world to us over the years. Jim and Susan McGuire did a great job with Lacey, now Adam takes over the reigns. Watching Lacey get married was a little weird for me because I have literally known her her whole life. I remember her sneaking into the Toy Room that I slept in when I lived with her family, to wake me up. It seems like that was yesterday, yet it was 18 years ago.
That evening we went out to dinner with Brad, Kim, Natalie, and JT Greenwood. What a night of laughs. We love hangin out with them. I would tell you more, but most of the conversations were inappropriate.
On Sunday we were with the Moore's. It was a great time to catch up on their life and glean advice from them as they get ready to put their daughter into College. I don't look forward to that day, but it is quickly coming.
On Sunday evening we got to be with the small group I had when I was an intern at Village. They called themselves the Breakfast Club. They were students at Hil Hi and were one of the greatest groups I have ever lead. They still, 16 years after high school, get together on a monthly basis. Now it is with their families. I love watching all of them chase their kids. It does my heart good....
On Monday I was able to go fly fishing on the Deschutes River with 4 great friends. Jim (former boss), Mike (former roomate), Dean (former worship pastor), and Buddy (always a friend), got together at 6 AM and were together until 8:30 that night. We didn't catch a dang thing, but the laughs were non-stop. We are all about 10 years older than the last time we fished together, but our humor hasn't changed at all. Great friends on a great day.

No comments: