Monday, September 10, 2007

Hidden Agenda

I continue to be amazed by people. I know that might sound strange since I have been working with them for so long, but like I said, I continue to be amazed by them. Here is what I am talking about.
They say that "information is power" meaning the one holding the information is holding the power. What gets me is that there is still a lot of perceived power even when there is no information present. People will ask me questions about something that is going on in my life or at church and the honest answer is "there is nothing to report, because I know nothing." Almost instantly I will get a look of "oh sure, you just aren't going to tell me... you are going to hold it over me."
Now as much as I would like to be in the loop on all things, that just isn't the case. Most of the time I am truly clueless.
I think that perhaps sometimes we need to hold on to the integrity of individuals allowing ourselves the assumption that if they are not telling me something when I ask, that they truly don't know. instead we hold them and ourselves hostage by the thoughts that someone is withholding information from me. Or perhaps, they honestly can't say anything, not because they are trying to withold the information, but because there are more people at stake than just the two in the conversation.
I don't know, just some random thoughts I have had lately as I prepare to transition jobs. People ask me what is going on and I tell them it's progressing slowly. I ususally get the look of "you are holding something from me." I hope I am perceiving people wrong, but I don't think I am. Look, I like to hav the inside scoop too, but sometimes that scoop is empty; there is no hidden agenda.

No comments: