Wes knows that I write about him, so he reads this now from time to time. He recently gave me his Senior picture and I will try and scan it and post it on Flickr.
My answer to Wes regarding Noah was this. "Who says that the laws God puts out for us are the same laws that He abides by." When God gave the 10 commandments to Moses, He said "you shall not," but never included himself as a person for whom the laws are for. Wes is still stewing on this.
We is starting a forum of devil's advocates here in town at a local bookstore. I am really proud of him and the investigating he does to find truth on his own terms. He is a great kid and I know that one day he will claim God's kingdom as his own.
I have requested with his school that he continue to come in next semester as well. They are very open to it and I think it will be great. We have fun together.
I think he is getting tired of debating me. I have got him frustrated a lot lately, not that I am trying to, but some of his ideas about life are a little too one sided from just his point of view. I try and balance him out a little.
Today we were talking about gaining credibility. I have told him that whether or not he likes it, that a college degree will give him credibility to those who don't know him. He doesn't like to hear things like that. Let's just put it this way, when he left me today he told me he probably wouldn't sleep much tonight... too much to think about.
Wes also turned a corner the other week. He confronted me about something I said to him and that it wounded him a little. In other words, he said I hurt his feelings. I replied with, "I thought you had no feelings." He laughed. What happened was that he said something about Christianity that was completely off base. I told him that if he believed that about Christianity (I can't recall specifically what the debate was about) then he has a shallow view of Christianity. Wes came back to me the next week and said that any time I say that he has a shallow view of anything, that is a wounding comment. I asked him if he truly knew what I meant, and he replied with his usual "oh, yes." His point to me was that he thinks about so much and tries to get below the surface of stuff that for someone to think he is shallow is very hurtful. I apologized and made sure that he didn't feel picked on. He didn't. We are still tight. I have even moved up in Wes' eyes. He recently referred to me as his "friend type thing." Life is good.
Monday, November 27, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment