Thursday, August 31, 2006

Great Friends

We had many enjoyable times while we were out in Oregon. When we are there, we really miss being in the Pacific Northwest. The smell of the evergreens, the sight of the Columbia River, and the availability of coffee are reminders of why we loved living there. Iowa has it's own beauty, but the smells of GPC cover it up sometimes.
We got to see a lot of great friends in Oregon. One (of several) highlights was spending our anniversary with some of the best friends we have ever had. Brad, Kim, Buddy and Susan spent the evening with us enjoying outdoor dining at the Grand Lodge in Forest Grove.
What I love about our friends is that we have always had the ability to speak to the hearts of each other. It true with our friends in Iowa as well as Oregon. On our evening at the Grand Lodge, I was truly thankful for the conversation. It was a confirming reminder to me of the life I choose to live every day. Even when events I deem as unfair present themselves to me, I must be reminded of who I am and how I live. Brad challenged me on that on this particular evening. Brad (or heavy G, as we sometimes call him) asked questions about the notion of being a servant leader and what that means in today's world. Even when things don't go my way and I think I am getting screwed, I need to remind myself of what it means and what it is to be a servant leader. I will constantly have to remind myself of I Peter 5 and understand that it is God's deal and not my own.
Thank you Brad for your words. You mean a lot to me and am grateful you are a good friend. I will strive to continue my quest to further understand what servant leadership is and what it looks like in a world or community that could care less...

No comments: